Building Updated: Jun 26, 2024

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know the work is correct?
The Building Department is responsible for implementation and enforcement of city and state codes related to construction, remodeling, alternation, repair and demolition of buildings and structures located in the city.  A Building Inspector will be signing off on all work done.
How do I proceed?
New construction, additions or remodeling require submission of detailed plans and obtaining appropriate permits before construction begins.  Call the Building Department, 562-868-0511 Ext. 7560.
How do I schedule inspections?
Inspections are done 24 hours in advance.  The General Contractor or the owner of the building will call 562-868-0511 Ext. 7560 to schedule inspections.
How much would it cost?
Permits must be obtained by a licensed contractor or residential owner occupied property and will vary depending on type and scope of work.  Please contact the Building Department by phone (562) 868-0511, Ext. 7560 or in person between the hours of 7:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
What do I do if I didn't find the answer to my question?

If your question related to Building isn't listed above, please call the Community Development Department at (562) 868-0511 Ext. 7560.

What permits do I need to remodel my house or business?

Most residential, commercial and industrial construction requires building plans and permits.  This includes new construction, remodeling or alternations.  Here are some examples of the type work that requires a permit and inspection.

Building permit is needed for:
Any structural changes or attached structures, detached structure over 120 sq. ft., re-roofing, block walls over 24" in height, new windows, new patio cover or carport, all swimming pools, drywall, and interior modifications

Electrical permit is needed for:
All service upgrades, new or replaced receptacles, outlets, switches and lights, air conditioning/heating, bathroom fans or electrical sub-panels

Plumbing permit is needed for:
Air conditioning, new or replaced water heaters, water softeners, bathtub or shower, fixtures, new water or gas lines (re-pipe) and drainage systems.

Mechanical permit is needed for:
Air conditioning/heating systems and bath fans

Building Permit Forms

All requests for plan check or inspections must be done in person or by phone 562-868-0511 Ext. 7560.

Building Department Office
Hours of Operation
7:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Note: The Building Department is closed from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

If you have any questions, please contact the Building Department, (562) 868-0511, Ext. 7560.