Parking Updated: Apr 24, 2024

Frequently Asked Questions

How Can I Pay my Parking Citation?
Payment may be made online, over the phone and by mail. To make a payment over the phone dial 1(800)989-2058. To mail a payment place a check or money order made payable to City of Santa Fe Springs for the amount indicated and mail in the provided envelope to:

                   Citation Processing Center
                   P.O. Box 10479
                   Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479

Do not send cash. Be sure to write your citation number on your check or money order. Failure to respond to this notice within twenty-one (21) days will result in a penalty increase and/or a DMV registration hold. The registered owner is responsible for paying the parking fine. If you would like to verify that your payment has been received you may visit the Citation Processing Center's website.
How can I Appeal a Parking Citation?

Violators wishing to contest a citation must follow the following procedure. File an appeal with the Citation Processing Center. Please include any evidence or photographs that may be helpful to the Review Officer. Any items sent to the department will not be returned. All parking citation review requests must be post marked within 21 days of the violation. The Police Department will not review any citations after 21 days of issuance. A written response will be sent to you within 10 days. If you have questions regarding the appeal process please review the Citation Processing Center's FAQ.

If the citation involves any violations relating to disabled person parking, please be sure to include the following information with your review. A copy of the disabled persons placard, a copy of the handicap placard registration, a copy of the registered owner’s identification card, and a narrative from the disabled person as to the circumstances related to the violation. The Department will not review any citation in person, or over the telephone.
I've Lost my Citation. What Should I do?
If you need to retrieve information about a citation, such as the citation number, address to send payment, or to check status of a citation that has been paid, you can reach the Citation Processing Center at (800) 989-2058. The Citation Processing Center phone number is an automated system and should provide you with selections on ways to assist with your particular needs. You will need to give them your first and last name or the license plate number of the vehicle. This will assist them in locating your citation information.  You may also visit their website and search for the citation. 
Are Parking Citations Moving Violations?

The Department of Police Services is responsible for the enforcement of laws related to parking within the City of Santa Fe Springs. Parking citations list the violation and the fine amount. Parking citations are not moving violations and will not reflect on a drivers DMV record. Citations are issued to the registered owner of the parked vehicles.          

Be sure to read the instructions printed on the front and back of the citation. Certain violations require proof of correction. The Police Services Center front desk is able to verify proof of correction for "fix-it-tickets."
I Paid my Citation but the DMV Shows that it is Still Pending and Won't Register my Vehicle.
There are several things that can cause this situation.

The first is that the original citation payment was made after the maximum 21-day period and therefore increased due to additional penalties. The partial payment of the increased amount would have been received, but the citation would still be referred to DMV for collection because of the balance due. In this case, the total amount is still due to the DMV. It is advisable to pay the total fine amount to DMV so that the vehicle registration won’t be delayed, causing additional fees. The original payment can then be refunded if proof of that payment can be provided. The second possibility for this to occur is that an error was made when posting the original payment and it was not credited to the correct citation. If you have proof of payment for a citation that the DMV is showing due on the vehicles registration, contact the Citation Processing Center at (800) 989-2058.
How do I get my Vehicle out of Impound?

The vehicle can be released only to the registered owner who has a valid California driver's license only. The vehicle must have current registration.

Regular impound: $166
30-Day impound: $166
DUI Impound: $319

All vehicle release fees will be accepted in cash only.
How Long can a Vehicle be Parked on a Public Street?

Vehicles can be parked on a public street for no longer than 72 consecutive hours as long as it is parked legally and has valid registration. If you feel a vehicle has been parked for an extended period of time, you can contact the Police Services Center to have the vehicle checked on.  An officer will issue a warning to the vehicle and if the vehicle does not move in 72 hours the vehicle will be cited and/or impounded for violation of the California Vehicle Code Section 22651(K).

You can call the Police Services Center at (562) 409-1850.

Abandoned or Inoperable Vehicles
Abandoned or inoperable vehicles either on private property or on a public street is handled through the Police Services Center. Please contact the Police Services Center at (562) 409-1850 for more information.

How Many Cars can an Individual/Household Have?
There is no limit as to how many vehicles an individual may own. However, all vehicles parked on a public street must be moved every 72 hours, must be parked legally, and have valid registration.
Is my Neighbor Allowed to Store an Inoperative Vehicle in Their Driveway?

The accumulation and storage of abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicles or parts thereof on private or public property not including highways is hereby found to create a condition tending to reduce the value of private property, to promote blight and deterioration, to invite plundering, to create fire hazards, to constitute an attractive nuisance creating a hazard to the health and safety of minors, to create a harborage for rodents and insects and to be injurious to the health, safety and general welfare.

To report an abandoned vehicle on private or public property, contact the Police Services Center at (562) 409-1850.