When there is concern about potential exposure to a chemical or other airborne hazard, you are advised to "shelter-in-place." To shelter in place:
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems.
- Close the fireplace damper.
- Get your disaster supplies kit and make sure the radio is working.
- Go to an interior room without windows that is above ground level.
- Using duct tape, seal all cracks around the door and any vents into the room, Wet towels may also be used.
- Listen to your radio or television for further instructions. Local officials may call for evacuation in specific areas at greatest risk.
The Police Services Center has Shelter-in-Place videos and DVDs available to check out. The video provides detailed information and only takes 15 minutes to view.
More disaster tips...